GW Briefs

Two named most promising minority students

Two GW seniors are among the country’s most promising minority students, according to the American Advertising Federation.

Adette Contreras, a marketing and international business major, was selected as a finalist for the federation’s award; senior Christopher Pitre received an honorable mention from the federation.

“I was notified on the same day that I became an American citizen, and it had to have been one of the most memorable days of my life,” Contreras said in a statement.

A native of the Philippines, Contreras moved to Chicago when she was 10. Pitre, from Missouri City, Texas, is also majoring in marketing.

-Lizzie Wozobski

VP plans to stay after SJT’s departure

GW Executive Vice President and Treasurer Louis Katz said Friday that he does not expect many high-level administrators to leave along with University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg when he retires from his office in July 2007.

“I’m sure there are going to be changes,” Katz said. “I’m planning to stay at the institution. I think we have a lot more to do.”

Katz also said that he does not expect Robert Chernak, senior vice president for Student and Academic Support Services, to leave with Trachtenberg either. Chernak has worked alongside Trachtenberg since the latter was a vice president at Boston University in the 1970s.

Katz added,”People with Bob’s strengths are hard to find.”

-Katie Rooney