GW Briefs

GW graduate programs got higher marks

The GW Law School is the 19th best in the country, according to the “America’s Best Graduate Schools” edition of U.S. News & World Report that will hit newsstands Monday. This year’s ranking is one spot higher than last year’s among the 180 accredited law schools nationwide.

Also, the Law School’s intellectual property law program ranked 3rd in the report while the international law was rated 6th and environmental law 12th.

Other GW rankings include the GW Graduate School of Education and Human Development, 21st overall, up three spots from last year; and the GW School of Business, ranked 70th overall of the 347 accredited master’s programs in business.

High school students get GW scholarships

Nine D.C.-area high school seniors were awarded Stephen Joel Trachtenberg Scholarships, worth $200,000 each, last week. The scholarships were presented by GW’s president in an annual surprise ceremony at the respective winners’ high schools.

The scholarship, renewed on an annual basis pending academic success, covers tuition, room and board, books and fees. The students are chosen for the scholarship based on their class rank, test scores, grade point average, community service and extracurricular activities.

This year’s winners are Darcy Jones-Duberry, Ballou Senior High School; Ian Cooper and Sherryl Grant of Banneker High School; Wendy Soriano, Bell Multicultural High School; Brittney Wright, Eastern High School; Ricky Garibay and Terri Li of School Without Walls; Leticia Tientcheu, Roosevelt High School; and Mahamod Mahmood, Wilson High School.

-Lizzie Wozobski