WEB UPDATE: Corr and Thorpe to face each other in presidential run-off

Updated Friday, March 31, 5:35 p.m.
Posted Friday, March 31, 12:44 a.m.

Juniors Morgan Corr and Lamar Thorpe were the top two vote-getters in the Student Association presidential election and will face each other in next week’s runoff, the Joint Elections Committee announced early Friday morning.

Junior Josh Lasky and sophomore Angela Chang will vie for the SA executive vice president post in the runoff taking place on Wednesday and Thursday. Next year’s Program Board chair is junior Maria Bea Querido, and junior Dustin Wright will be the PB vice chair.

“I’m completely ecstatic,” Corr said after the results from Wednesday and Thursday’s election were announced. “It was a great team and a great organization.”

“I feel great,” Thorpe said. “I felt great when The Hatchet endorsed me and felt confident that I would make it this far.”

At about 12:50 on Friday morning the JEC announced the results of the election in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom. Every presidential candidate was in attendance Friday morning except junior Nate Hayward, who dropped out of the race late Thursday afternoon to support Thorpe.

Start the slideshow!

Thorpe, who did not run on a slate, attributed his success to “people paying attention” and said his message of fairness, opportunity and community was consistent throughout the campaign. He said he would “stick to this message” when campaigning in the runoff election. Thorpe won 727 votes (22.8 percent), compared to Corr’s 904 votes (28.4 percent).

Overall, 3,183 students voted in the SA presidnetial race, an 11 percent increase from last year’s 2,806 students who cast votes in the general election. The increase is likely due to the involvement of three slates, compared to one last year.

The JEC announced Friday afternoon that sophomore Elliot Rozenberg came in third place in the presidential electiom with 675 votes while sophomore Nick D’Addario came in fourth place with 391 votes and sophomore Casey Pond came in fifth place with 320 votes.

Upon learning of her placement in the EVP runoff election, Chang said she was “very happy for the slate,” Real GW.

“This proves our platform resonated with students,” Chang said Friday. “It really came down to the support we had from all of our volunteers.”

Chang added that she hopes to continue the hard work and dedication that garnered 844 votes (27.3 percent).

“I can’t say enough about everyone who helped us out,” said Lasky, who received 914 votes (29.5 percent).

Describing his mood as “bittersweet” because his presidential running mate Rozenberg didn’t get into the runoff, Lasky said his main focus is on next week’s election.

Sophomore Kirk Haldeman came in third place, 16 votes behind Chang with 826 votes. Freshman Kristen Walker received 470 votes to finish in fourth place.

Sophomore Marc Abanto (CCAS-U) and fellow Real GW candidate freshman Max Holland will be the undergraduate at-large senators next year.

The Corr-headed Real GW also won four of the six Columbian College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate Senate seats with freshmen Daniel Bernstein, Nicole Capp, Robert Platt and sophomore Chris Rotella winning their races. College Party candidates Mia Fine, a sophomore, and Luke Moses, a junior won the remaining CCAS seats. Capp garnered the most CCAS-U votes with 573 followed by Bernstein with 527 and Rotella with 476.

Real GW candidate sophomore Nathan Brill and GWUnited candidate sophomore Uptin Saiidi will be the undergraduate School of Business senators.

Real GW swept the Elliott School of International Affairs undergraduate seats with freshman members George Blair, Jessica Jacobson and Kevin Kozlowski all winning their seats.

Real GW candidates sophomore Bryant Avondoglio, junior Charlie Leizear and sophomore Tim Shea as well as College Party candidate George Ho, a sophomore, will run the Marvin Center Governing Board next year.

First-year GW Law School student Peter Feldman will occupy the graduate student at-large seat. Junior Brandon Sherr and former SA President Omar Woodard, a first-year graduate student, won the CCAS graduate posts.

Querido beat junior Dan Secatore by a tally of 1346 to 985 to win PB chair.