Varsity Roundups

M. Basketball

GW men’s basketball head coach Karl Hobbs is not going to Cincinnati. Murray State head coach Mick Cronin was announced as the head coach of the University of Cincinnati after the Bearcats’ 65-62 loss to South Carolina in the NIT last Thursday night. The announcement came only a day after Hobbs said he was contacted by the Bearcats to talk about the vacancy. Hobbs, a finalist for national coach of the year, has been mentioned as a candidate for other jobs, including at Indiana. Cronin was an assistant coach at Cincinnati from 1997-2001. “Since becoming AD on December 1, I have talked to countless coaches, commissioners, administrators and other experts around the college basketball world. The one name that constantly came up in these discussions was Mick Cronin,” Cincinnati Athletic Director Mike Thomas said in a news release.

Baseball

The Charlotte 49ers beat GW 10-0 Saturday in North Carolina to drop the Colonials to 6-16 overall and 0-3 in the Atlantic 10. The sweep against them is GW’s first in conference since 2003. Senior Dan Pfau got his fourth loss, allowing nine earned runs in six innings of work. GW lost the second game Saturday 11-5 with freshman Pat Lehman taking the loss. In the first game Friday, the Colonials lost 1-0 in 11 innings.

M. Crew

The GW men’s rowing squad opened up the season with a 10th-place (out of 27) finish at the Murphy Cup regatta in Philadelphia. The GW varsity eight boat placed second in the best placement of the day. The Colonials hit the water next on April 1 against Virginia in Charlottesville.