GW Briefs

Bouncer pleads not guilty in alumna’s death

Darryl Littlejohn, a bouncer in the bar where GW graduate Imette St. Guillen was last seen alive, pleaded not guilty last Thursday to her murder. Littlejohn was indicted March 23 on charges of first- and second-degree murder and faces life in prison without parole if convicted.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly announced last week that police had DNA evidence linking Littlejohn, 41, to the murder. The evidence includes the sock found in St. Guillen’s throat, plastic ties used to bind her wrists and ankles and cat hairs, reported The New York Times.

“The murder was committed during the course of a sexual assault,” said Brooklyn District Attorney Charles J. Hynes in a news conference announcing the indictment, reported Boston’s CBS 4.

Littlejohn maintains he is innocent and said in an interview with New York’s WCBS-TV that police “have the wrong person.”

Answers to some questions have still not been answered: investigators have failed to identify the exact location where St. Guillen was killed and to whom the semen and flesh found under her fingernails belong.

Kelly told media that there are no witnesses or other evidence to support Littlejohn’s claim that he was visiting his mother on the day of the slaying.

St. Guillen, a graduate student at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in Manhattan, graduated magna cum laude from GW in 2003 with a major in criminal justice.

-Lizzie Wozobski

Franken to broadcast from SMPA

Political commentator Al Franken will broadcast a live three-hour segment of his radio show from the School of Media and Public Affairs building April 6, GW announced Friday.

The national broadcast, which will take place in the Jack Morton Auditorium, will be from noon to 3 p.m. and will be open to students, but details about attending have not yet been released, according to an e-mail sent to SMPA majors from Paul Fucito, the school’s director of communications.

“The Al Franken Show,” which is broadcast weekdays from Minneapolis, is known for its commentary and interviews arguing for liberal positions on the issues of the day, and comedy poking fun at conservatives.

Franken is also an Emmy Award-winning television writer and producer – notably as one of the original writers for “Saturday Night Live.” He is also a Grammy-winning comedian and author of five New York Times bestsellers, among them his latest work, “The Truth (with jokes),” released in October 2005.

-Katie Rooney