WEB UPDATE: No. 6/7 Colonials beat Charlotte in OT thriller

Start the celebration slideshow!

Start the game action slideshow!

Posted Saturday, March 4, 4:40 p.m. Forget the Miracle on 34th Street. This was the Miracle on 22nd Street.

The GW men’s basketball team left themselves in a tight spot to get their 26th win of the year. But, like they’ve done all season, they got out of it.

A Noel Wilmore miss turned into a game-winning tip-in for Carl Elliott at the buzzer to give GW a 86-85 win to finish the conference schedule undefeated Saturday at the Smith Center.

The victory leaves GW 26-1 and 16-0 in the Atlantic 10. The No. 6/7 (USA Today/Associated Press) Colonials join Temple and Saint Joseph’s as the third school to complete an undefeated conference season.

Junior Danilo (J.R.) Pinnock had 19 points and seven rebounds to lead GW. On senior day, two of the four seniors participating had double-digit points. Mike Hall had 13 points and 11 rebounds while Omar Williams put in 10 and nine rebounds.

GW head coach Karl Hobbs said this game is one of the most special he has ever participated in.

“This has to rank up with the most emotional game I’ve coached in,” Hobbs said after Saturday’s win. “You couldn’t have asked for a better way to close it out.”

Elliott had 12 points while fellow guard Maureece Rice had 16 and three three-pointers.

De’Angelo Alexander of Charlotte had 32 points and six rebounds while Curtis Withers had 18 points. Leemire Goldwire put in 18 points on seven-for-15 shooting.

The end of the game was a huge cluster of confusion, as Charlotte Coach Bobby Lutz went on the court to break up a scuffle between Hall and Goldwire. The officiating crew called a technical on Goldwire, a foul on Hall that gave the Colonials the possession to allow Wilmore to take the shot.

Next up is the A-10 Tournament in Cincinnati. It begins Thursday for the Colonials, as they will enjoy a first round bye.