WEB UPDATE: Mensah-Bonsu has successful surgery in Alabama, official says

Posted Tuesday, Feb. 28, 9:10 p.m. Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu had successful surgery on his meniscus in Birmingham, Ala., Tuesday, Robert Chernak, senior vice president of Student Academic and Support Services, said. Mensah-Bonsu began rehabilitation in Alabama Tuesday and will return to Washington Wednesday.

Assistant basketball coach Roland Houston accompanied Mensah-Bonsu for the examination and operation by James Andrews, a renowned orthopedic surgeon. Chernak first talked about the surgery in a Tuesday afternoon interview on WRGW.

“According to Roland, the doctor told him with these kind of injuries, there’s a very good likelihood that he’d be back in two weeks,” Chernak said in a phone interview late Tuesday afternoon. “There are facts that are unique between each individual. Everyone’s healing process is different.”

Chernak said the extent of Mensah-Bonsu’s injury was unclear from the results of the MRI, which was examined by team doctor Kenneth Fine.

Chernak said there’s no timetable for Mensah-Bonsu’s return, but he is hopeful that the Colonials’ most well-known player will be back by NCAA Tournament time. He also said it has not been determined if Mensah-Bonsu will travel to Cincinnati to the Atlantic 10 Tournament, which begins March 8.