Men’s Notes

Three players named to NABC district squads

Senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu was named to a National Association of Basketball Coaches all-district first team. The 6-foot-9 senior was named to the squad along with West Virginia’s Kevin Pittsnogle and Mike Gansey. Georgetown’s Jeff Green and George Mason’s Jai Lewis rounded out the first squad for the regional district covering GW. Junior Danilo (J.R.) Pinnock and senior Mike Hall were named to the all-district second team. Virginia Commonwealth’s Nick George, along with Alex Loughton of Old Dominion and Brandon Bowman of Georgetown, were also named to the second team. The NABC named 150 players to all-district teams that encompass geographic regions; these players are eligible for the NABC All-American team, which, according to a GW Athletic Office news release, will be announced at the end of the season.

Pinnock reaches scoring milestone

With a three-point field goal during last Wednesday’s 69-66 victory over the University of Massachusetts, junior guard Danilo (J.R.) Pinnock became the 38th player in GW men’s basketball history to score 1,000 points. Pinnock joins teammates Mensah-Bonsu and Hall as members of the club.

McDonald suspended

Freshman Montrell McDonald has been suspended indefinitely by head coach Karl Hobbs. Hobbs, in addition to others affiliated with the team, would not comment on the cause of the suspension. McDonald averages 4.4 points and 1.5 rebounds per game and did not travel to Richmond with the squad this past weekend.

-Jake Sherman and Will Dempster