JEC nominees pass out of Rules Committee

The Joint Elections Committee came one step closer to being complete after a meeting Friday night in the Marvin Center.

The Student Association Senate Rules Committee confirmed all three of the nominees to the JEC that SA President Audai Shakour put to the committee. The three possible JEC members will go before the full SA Senate Tuesday night for official confirmation.

The JEC, a five-member election oversight body, is composed of a representative from the Marvin Center Governing Board, Program Board and three representatives from the SA. The SA members of the JEC are nominated by the SA president and confirmed by the Senate.

The three nominees from Shakour are freshman Alex Stegmaier, sophomore Ryan Sullivan and junior Elizabeth Fox. Fox was on the special JEC that oversaw the constitutional referendum in December. Sullivan represented the special JEC in front of the Student Court when it ruled that the results of the referendum that would have installed a new SA Constitution were invalid.

The Marvin Center Governing Board and Program Board already appointed their representatives to the JEC two weeks ago. The MCGB appointee is senior Timothy Ziese; senior Kathryn Santo will be representing Program Board.

For the JEC to have quorum, it must have a majority of the five members present. This means that only one of the three SA appointees needs to be confirmed for the JEC to begin their official business.

Once the JEC is confirmed, the election oversight body will set a date for the election, which will most likely take place the last week in March after undergraduate students’ spring break.

-Brandon Butler