Cigarette fire disrupts classes

A lit cigarette butt dropped outside of Funger Hall caused floor tiles near the entrance to smolder and forced more than 100 students to evacuate from the building and the neighboring Duques Hall Tuesday afternoon, firefighters at the scene said.

The fire alarms went off in both buildings around 1:45 p.m., and four fire trucks arrived shortly thereafter. Students returned to the building around 2:15 p.m.

Sgt. Steve Sandy of the fire department said at the scene that the smoldering began after a cigarette butt slipped through the cracks of the tiles, and the plastic underlay of the walkway tiles used to prevent water damage caught fire. He said that there was “no extent of damage to the building itself.”

After the smoldering was put out, University Facilities Management staff investigated the damage done to the tiles. Firefighters broke around 10 slabs of concrete to access the smoldering plastic below them.

The tiling outside of Funger Hall was renovated this school year as part of the remodeling of Funger and construction of Duques Hall.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.