GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Squad grabs two on road

While Washington enjoyed its first snow of the semester, the women’s basketball team braved the harsh winter weather up north, first stopping in Pittsburgh Friday night to play Duquesne followed by a contest two days later in Olean, N.Y., home of St. Bonaventure.

The Colonials battled back from 13 down to defeat the Dukes; the momentum continued for a 21-point victory against the Bonnies.

Senior Jessica Simmonds led the Colonials (17-6, 10-2 Atlantic-10) in both games. She scored 14 in the 62-41 win over St. Bonaventure (8-5, 2-10) and 15 during the 63-56 victory at Duquesne (9-14, 4-8 A-10).

Simmonds injured her wrist Sunday, but the severity is unknown.

The Colonials and the Bonnies played even for most of the first half until GW pulled out to nine with 5:30 remaining and finished the end of the half up 31-22.

The Colonials built on their lead in the second half, including a 13-0 run over a six-minute period midway through the half. Junior Kenan Cole had 13 points while sophomore Sarah-Jo Lawrence added 11. Freshman Jazmine Adair led the Colonials with seven rebounds.

Freshman Ashley Edwards recorded a double-double for St. Bonaventure, scoring 10 points with 13 rebounds. Senior Stefanie Collins was the only other Bonnie in double-digits, netting 11. The Colonials held their opponents to just 16 field goals on 58 attempts.

Two days earlier, the Colonials fought back after trailing by 13 to Duquesne. The Dukes took immediate control of the game and led by eight at the half, 32-24. With 6:47 remaining in the game, Cole hit a jump shot to cap off a Colonials 12-0 run and give them a one-point lead. Duquesne would regain the lead; however, the Colonials finished the game up by seven.

Sophomore Kim Beck led the Colonials’ comeback, scoring all of her 14 points in the second half on four three-point shots and two late free throws. Cole again added 13 points.

The victory over Duquesne is the Colonials’ first after trailing at the half. It is also the largest losing margin they have overcome this season.

GW remains tied for second in the A-10 with Temple, while Charlotte still leads the conference. The Colonials return home to face La Salle Friday and then play host Richmond Sunday.