February concerts: Globetrotting groove

Although it certainly doesn’t feel like February in D.C., Valentine’s Day is less than a week away, and Cupid’s gift to all lovers in the District is a fresh new concert schedule filled with legendary hip-hop artists, old-school funk and not one, but two amazing cover bands – one is a tribute to Neil Diamond and the other is an all-girl lesbian Led Zeppelin tribute group.

On Thursday Puerto Rican ladykiller Ricky Martin will make your mother scream as he shakes his “bon-bon” at D.A.R. Constitution Hall. The following night (Feb. 10), Jimmie’s Chicken Shack (remember them?) will play at the Recher Theatre, and Fort Minor-Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park’s side project-will play at The Nation.

On Saturday, lovers of Neil Diamond can head over to the 9:30 Club for Super Diamond: The Neil Diamond Experience – a cover band that plays Diamond’s greatest hits (and is probably better than Jack Black’s Diamond cover band in the movie “Saving Silverman”).

On Feb. 13, cash in on your Christmas and Hanukkah checks from all your aunts and uncles and head over to the 9:30 Club to experience the one and only Wu Tang Clan (see “R.I.P. O.D.B.,” p. 10). Although O.D.B. is gone forever, his spirit lives on in the dirty bastard inside us all.

On Feb. 17, comedian Paul Mooney, perhaps best known for his “Ask a Black Dude” segment on “Chappelle’s Show,” will perform a seated show at the 9:30 Club. Also on the 17th, Louisiana soul rockers The Subdudes will perform songs from their new album “Behind the Levee” at the State Theatre.

On a mission to conquer the D.C. and East Coast music scene, GW expatriates Exit Clov will play at DC9 on Feb. 18, blocks away from the 9:30 Club. The (incredibly hot) twin sisters-fronted band, featuring groovy guitar and synthesizer riffs accompanied by what their news release calls “kaleidoscopic pop,” recently released their latest demo CD, “The Jolly Roget Sessions.” As they continue to gain more popularity, people living in D.C. should make it a priority to catch the nearly 3-year-old band perform live.

On Feb. 19, renowned jazz guitarist Pat Metheny will play with his trio at the State Theatre.

February also brings to D.C. two great punk bands that promise to deliver raw adrenaline to their eager audiences. On Feb. 21 and 22, the Irish-American punk rock band Flogging Molly, and on Feb. 27, everyone’s favorite punk band from middle school, NOFX, will undoubtedly rock the house at The Nation.

On Feb. 24, Lez Zeppelin, an all -girl Led Zeppelin cover band, will deliver a whole new perspective on Zeppelin classics spanning the popular 1970s group’s entire discography.

Perhaps one of the most anticipated shows this February (other than Wu Tang Clan) is the upcoming performance by the one-and-only George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic All Stars at the 9:30 Club on Feb. 27.

So, rather than buying your valentine the clich? flowers and chocolate this February, get her a concert ticket instead. It will be much more memorable than the wilting roses next to her computer, guaranteed.

Feb. 9 – Ricky Martin – D.A.R. Constitution Hall – $50-$76

Feb. 10 – Jimmie’s Chicken Shack – Recher Theatre – $12
Fort Minor – The Nation – $20

Feb. 11 – Super Diamond: The Neil Diamond
Experience – 9:30 Club – $22

Feb. 13 – Wu Tang Clan w/ Method Man, Ghostface and others – 9:30 Club – First show sold out, second $50

Feb. 17 – Paul Mooney – 9:30 Club – $35
The Subdudes – State Theatre – $19

Feb. 18 – Exit Clov – DC9 – $8

Feb. 19 – Pat Metheny Trio – State Theatre – $59

Feb. 21 – Flogging Molly – 9:30 Club – $20

Feb. 22 – Flogging Molly – 9:30 Club – $20

Feb. 24 – Lez Zeppelin – State Theatre – $15
Duncan Sheik – Birchmere Theatre – $19.50

Feb. 27 – George Clinton and the Parliament-Funkadelic All Stars – $40
NOFX – The Nation – $20