Women drop one in Cincy

While the men’s basketball team went into Xavier Thursday night and left with a narrow win, the women’s squad didn’t have the same success Friday evening, coming up short 67-62 in Cincinnati.

Despite cutting a 12-point Musketeer lead and moving within one with five minutes remaining, the Colonials (14-6, 7-2 Atlantic 10) were unable to pull out the win. The two teams met three weeks ago in Washington; GW took that first matchup 64-58. With the loss, the Colonials move into a tie for second with No. 20 Temple in the A-10, while Charlotte remains at the top.

Junior Kenan Cole and freshman Jessica Adair each had 13 points for the Colonials, while junior Whitney Allen added nine points. Sophomore Kim Beck went two-for-10 from outside the arc, while the team shot just 21.4 percent from three-point range.

Senior all-American candidate Tara Boothe led the Musketeers (15-6, 6-4) with 18 points and nine rebounds. Classmate Kristy Wallner netted 15 points and junior Michele Miller contributed an additional 10.

The Colonials, who were without their head coach Friday night, were down 32-23 at the end of the first half but fought back to win the second half by five points. Beck hit a long three-point shot with 1:22 remaining to put the score at 64-62; erratic playing by GW on the subsequent possession, however, forced the Colonials to foul with nine seconds remaining. Xavier ended the game making 21 of 28 free throws.

Women’s head coach Joe McKeown did not attend the game against Xavier due to the death of his mother. The Colonials’ next opponent will be at home against conference newcomer Saint Louis (5-15, 2-7 A-10) Monday at 7 p.m.

Jessica Adair was named A-10 co-rookie of the week for the second time this season.