WEB EXTRA: GW offers new ecotourism program

Business school expands tourism curriculum
GW’s School of Business announced this month an expansion of the specialized ecotourism program within the GW Department of Tourism. The area of study focuses on ensuring responsible travel that protects the environment.
GW teamed with Conservation International, a leading organization for ecotourism, to offer eight additional classes in the School of Business’ master of tourism administration ecotourism concentration.
The goal of the joint GW and Conservation International effort is to educate students on how to bring tourism to areas with a high density of endangered species while ensuring that tourists respect the sensitive environment. While ecotourism allows people to view exotic animals, it also works hard to protect the surrounding ecosystems and the overall welfare of the visiting area.
Last year, GW offered the concentration, but now by working with Conservation International, the curriculum of the program is greatly expanded, said Kristin Lamoureux director of GW’s International Institute of Tourism Studies.
“There are things that can be done to make any type of tourism more sustainable so that the natural and cultural environment are not harmed but that there is economic sustainability,” Lamoureux said in an e-mail.
GW’s ecotourism concentration, which is not offered as a degree, is one of few ecotourism programs offered at colleges and universities around the country. There are currently approximately 25 MTA students, several of whom have chosen ecotourism as their concentration. Non-MTA students also have an opportunity to receive a not-for-credit tourism destination management certificate.
-Eric Roper