WEB EXTRA: Bono to speak in D.C.

Nobel Peace Prize nominee and U2 singer Bono will speak at the Washington Hilton and Towers tomorrow evening as part of the Nation’s Capital Distinguished Speakers Series. Recently named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year, Bono has distinguished himself in the past year as a humanitarian, promoting awareness of global poverty and AIDS.

The speaker series, sponsored by the Center for Association Leadership, brings politicians and entertainers to share tips for self-improvement. Bono will be speaking about how to lead a more involved life through contributing to charitable causes.

“Celebrities command a lot of attention, and to see it directed in a positive way that will make the world community a better place is very exciting,” said Susan Safarti, President and CEO of the Center for Association Leadership and Executive Vice President of the American Society of Association Executives. “We are very proud to have him.”

Those who attend will have an opportunity to participate in a question and answer session with the rock star. Safarti encourages college students to attend. Proceeds will go towards event and speaker’s fees.

“College years are an excellent time to look at issues and decide what causes to champion, and it forms basis of how people will live their lives,” said Safarti. “College students spend time thinking about how to make the world a better place, so this would be of great interest.”

Bono will speak at the Washington Hilton and Towers on Friday at 8 p.m. Tickets are $95. For more information, call (202) 326-9530.