Men’s Notes

Austrian native verbally commits to GW, prep school coach says

Herman Opoku, a 6-foot-9 Austrian native, has verbally committed to the GW men’s basketball team, said coach Raphael Chillius of the South Kent School in South Kent, Conn., which Opoku attends.

Chillius said Opoku verbally committed to coach Karl Hobbs’ program approximately two months ago and chose GW over the University of Georgia, Marquette, Rhode Island and Hartford.

“I thought he made the best choice possible,” Chillius said. “I thought it was a good situation.” Hobbs and other GW athletic officials do not typically comment on recruits before teams are allowed to announce freshman signings.

Opoku has not played many years of basketball, but Chillius said his athleticism is tremendous, drawing comparisons to senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

“He’s definitely that type of athlete,” Chillius said. “Skill-wise, he can also shoot the ball.”

GW players that hail from the Connecticut prep powerhouse include Clemson transfer Cheyenne Moore and sophomore Keri Gonsalves. Washington Wizards rookie Andray Blatche is also a grad of South Kent.

-Jake Sherman

GW-Xavier game to be shown in Smith Center

The Colonials’ game against Xavier Thursday is in Cincinnati, but the Spirit Department is expecting hundreds of fans to show up to watch the contest in the Smith Center. The event, which is co-sponsored by The Hatchet, will feature competitions and an atmosphere similar to a home game.

The GW-Xavier game is being broadcast on ESPN2 and starts at 7 p.m.

-Michael Barnett