GW Briefs

Media Relations director heads PR chapter

Tracy Schario, GW’s director of Media Relations, was named the 2006 president of the National Capital Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America last month.

Schario leads the group’s largest chapter in the country with 1,200 members, which comprises about 5 percent of the national membership. Schario was also selected as the most valuable member of the chapter for 2005.

As president, Schario will work toward producing 30 programs a year, coordinating with the national organization, planning symposia and conferences, and preparing for the Public Relations Hall of Fame inductions in the spring.

“My involvement with the PRSA, when GW hosts events, it raises the visibility of the University in the metro area,” Schario said.

-Lizzie Wozobski

Professor finalist for UNC journalism post

GW professor Jean Folkerts is one of three candidates left to be the dean of the University of North Carolina’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Folkerts was nominated for the job by some of her colleagues.

“I think everyone should think about aspiring to opportunities and challenges, and so I decided to explore this opportunity,” she said.

Folkerts will be at UNC this week to meet with faculty members and complete the candidacy process.

“Her background and experience make her a strong candidate, and all of us on the faculty and staff are looking forward to hearing what she has to say,” said Tom Bowers, the interim dean of the UNC school.

From 1996 to 2001, Folkerts served as director of SMPA and has held a variety of positions since then at GW. Originally from Kansas, Folkerts has been at GW since 1990.

-Nathan Grossman

CRs win best chapter award

The College Republican National Committee presented GW’s College Republicans with its best chapter award last week.

The GW CRs beat out 1,500 other College Republican groups around the country and won the award because they are “a prime example” of the CRs mission,” CRNC Chairman Paul Gourley said.

Jeff Holth, the GWCR chairman, said, “It is a true testament to the vision and drive of this chapter.”

-Adam Tannenbaum