Women head to unfriendly northeast undefeated in A-10

The women’s basketball team moved into the top-25 for the first time this season and now heads to Rhode Island on Friday to improve on their five-game winning streak. URI is 4-10 and 2-2 in the Atlantic 10, having defeated Xavier and Massachusetts but losing to La Salle twice.

The Colonials will need to watch for Rams senior Tanya Rhodes, a 5-foot-9 forward from Norwalk, Conn. Rhodes has registered five double-doubles this season, including a 21-point, 10-rebound effort against Massachusetts. Most recently she dropped 15 points and nine assists to accompany three assists and five steals in a loss to La Salle on Monday.

GW, meanwhile, continues to surge against A-10 opponents. The Colonials are 11-4 and undefeated in conference play, beating Dayton, No. 19/21 Temple and most recently Xavier at home and Saint Joseph’s on the road.

The Colonials lead the Rams 29-4 in head-to-head play, with all four losses coming in Kingston, R.I. GW prevailed 64-61 in the last meeting between the two programs, on Jan. 29, 2005, in Washington, D.C.

After Rhode Island the women will stay on the road as they face Massachusetts. They also hold the advantage over Massachusetts, 30-7. Coach Joe McKeown received his 200th A-10 win with the 58-52 Colonial victory.

-Joanna Shapes