January concert preview

As students start their first week of classes mid-January, going to class is the least of everyone’s worries. After all, you’re allowed to blow off the first couple of weeks to party, visit with friends and see live music, so long as you make up for it later, right? While the month may be half over, there’s still plenty of music left for everyone to enjoy.

On Friday, several oldie-but-goodie acts will play throughout the District. Blues guitar legend B.B. King will perform at D.A.R. Constitution Hall with the Bobby Blue Band. In addition, 1950s-era piano rocker Jerry Lee Lewis will play at the Strathmore Music Center. Also coming to town is everyone’s favorite middle-school rock/ska band, Less Than Jake. Armed with a new album chock-full of rarities and B-sides, the band has embarked on a U.S. tour and will play in D.C. on Friday, Jan. 20.

On Jan. 27, the Bicycle Thieves, a local D.C. rock band, will headline at the 9:30 Club. Some might remember Bicycle Thieves from when they opened up for Bob Saget at Lisner Auditorium last semester. Embracing a true pop-rock sound on their latest EP Second Place Confessions, Bicycle Thieves promise to deliver an energetic show. Also on Jan. 27, Keller Williams will be playing a show at the Birchmere Music Hall in Alexandria.

The following night, show support for The Headhunters at the State Theatre in Falls Church on Jan. 28. The jazz/fusion/electronic trio will also be featuring New Orleanians George Porter Jr. (Funky Meters) on bass guitar and Donald Harrison (Jazz Messengers) on saxophone, as well as Steve Molitz (Particle) on keys. Also on Jan. 28, Colin Meloy of the much-lauded Decemberists will play a solo show at Birchmere Music Hall.

Those interested in live electronica music should head over to the Black Cat on Jan. 29 to catch a wild night of experimental music, including drum and bass, glitch and breakbeat sounds from various DJs.

Finally, on Jan. 30, Los Angeles rock trio Lifehouse will perform at the 9:30 Club.

Get your live-music fix, G-Dub, and stay tuned for next month’s concert preview.

1/20 – Less Than Jake – 9:30 Club – $18
B.B. King – D.A.R. Constitution Hall – $60
Jerry Lee Lewis – Strathmore Music Center – $50-$125

1/21 – Cake – 9:30 Club – $old out

1/22 – Story of the Year – 9:30 Club – $20

1/26 – Yellowcard – 9:30 Club – $old out

1/27 – Bicycle Thieves w/ Cedars and Nethers – 9:30 Club – $10
Keller Williams – Birchmere Music Hall – $25

1/28 – The Headhunters w/ Bill Summers and Mike Clark, George Porter Jr.,
Donald Harrison and Steve Molitz – State Theatre – $20
Colin Meloy of the Decemberists – Birchmere Music Hall – $17.50

1/29 – Avenged Sevenfold – 9:30 Club – $old out
Live! An Evening of Experimental Electronic Music – Black Cat – $5

1/30 – Lifehouse – 9:30 Club – $25