Women’s basketball notes

Simmonds ties personal game-high assists

Senior Jessica Simmonds had seven assists in the Colonials’ 64-58 win over Xavier. She attributes the assists to Xavier’s doing a good job double-teaming her and preventing her from shooting. She also made a note that her “teammates are always open.”

Five players ride bench

Only nine of the squad’s 14 players saw playing time against Xavier. Freshmen Jamila Bates, Jessica Adair and Amie Kern and sophomores Lora Mitchell and Lisa Steele remained on the bench. Adair and Steele continue to nurse injuries. Of the nine women on the floor, only four played more than 20 minutes.

GW strong in the paint

Forty-six of the Colonials’ 64 points were in the paint. Coach Joe McKeown believes this came from a combination of Simmonds’ prowess below the net and the team’s trouble from outside the arc. He commented on the fact that “Xavier had everything congested in there and that it was crowded.” He compared the situation in the paint to “the Beltway at five o’clock.”

Colonials take game on the road

The Colonials will play six of its next eight games on the road. GW will play at Rhode Island and Massachusetts this weekend, followed by Fordham at home on Jan. 27. The Colonials will then take their game to Richmond and Xavier before returning back to the Smith Center to face Saint Louis on Feb. 6. The Colonials will then again head north to Duquesne and St. Bonaventure on Feb. 10 and 12, respectively.

-Joanna Shapes