WEB EXTRA: Academic Center construction completed

The University finished renovating offices within its Student Accounts, Human Resources and Payroll departments earlier this month in order to make them more customer-service friendly for students, faculty and staff, officials said.

Nancy Haaga, GW director of Auxiliary and Institutional Services, said the suite of offices for the three departments, located on the first floor of Rome Hall, can now be accessed by a new entry in the main lobby of the building. Each department now has its own customer service window “so customers can sit down and discuss their matter with a customer service representative within a more private and pleasant setting,” Haaga wrote in an e-mail last week. Two self-service computer terminals have also been installed in the area so that customers can access online forms when needed; the general waiting area for the suite of offices has also been enlarged.

Haaga said the construction to Rome Hall is one of many small renovation projects taking place on campus. Over winter break a variety of dorms received renovations including new carpeting, flooring, painting and up-graded lighting; eight classrooms on the second floor of Funger Hall were renovated. Also, Haaga said construction on the new Java City in Duques Hall is completed and that the venue will open Jan. 17.

Prior to the renovations, individuals had to enter through the loading dock vestibule area of the building and customers were received at standup counters that lined the common area, Haaga said.

Construction on the approximately 4,000-square foot suite of offices began in early October, and staff in the Student Accounts, Human Resources and Payroll departments moved into newly renovated offices last week, Haaga said.

“The University has undertaken the renovation of this area in an effort to improve the overall ability of these departments to provide a higher level of service delivery and convenience to students, faculty and staff members that they serve,” Haaga wrote in an e-mail.