Vacation wrapup: Men and women stay undefeated in conference play

Men’s basketball

No. 15 GW 98, University of Maryland-Eastern Shore 72
Dec. 17
Using a 20-4 run midway through the first half, the Colonials (8-0) defeated the Hawks of the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore 98-72 to secure the team’s best start to a season since the 1950s. Junior Danilo (J.R) Pinnock had 18 points while senior Pops Mensah-Bonsu had 16 points.

No. 18 N.C. State 78, No. 12 GW 58
Dec. 30
Thirteen days after their last win, the Colonials (8-1) easily shot a season-worst 29.5 percent from the floor en route to their first loss of the season. Junior Carl Elliott had 14 points.

No. 19/20 GW 72, Temple 60
Jan. 4
After losing its first contest of the season and their coveted No. 12 ranking because of a flurry of mental errors, the Colonials used 48 percent shooting to beat the Owls 72-60 in Philadelphia in its A-10 opener. Sophomore Maureece Rice dropped 14 points to lead GW. Seniors Mike Hall and Pops Mensah-Bonsu and junior Danilo (J.R.) Pinnock had 12 points apiece.

No. 19/20 GW 79, Marshall 73 (OT)
Jan. 7
GW survived an overtime upset scare in Huntington, W. Va., behind Pinnock’s 21 points. Elliott threw down 18 points while Mensah-Bonsu and Rice had 15 apiece. The Colonials erased a 12-point deficit with four minutes remaining to send the game into overtime before dominating the extra period.

No. 17/19 GW 69, Saint Louis 64 (OT)
Jan. 11
The No. 17/19 Colonials took their second straight game into overtime to top the Billikens on 44.6 percent shooting from the floor and 60.7 percent from the line. The Colonials were able to hold the Billikens to 39.1 percent shooting (25-for-64). Pinnock had his first career double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds.

No. 17/19 GW 82, Saint Joseph’s 70
Jan. 14
The recent conclusion of Hall’s midseason slump could not have come at a better time. Hall, who scored seven and two points in his last two games, had a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds, five assists and four steals en route to a dominating 82-70 GW win over St. Joseph’s at the Smith Center in front of 4,356 fans. Elliott had a career-high 20 points and pulled down four rebounds.

Women’s basketball

GW 57, Maine 47
Dec. 17
Sophomore Whitney Allen had a double-double, with 16 points and 13 rebounds, to lead three GW players in double figures in the out-of-conference win. Classmate Sarah-Jo Lawrence had 14 points while senior Jessica Simmonds tallied 11.

GW 88, Yale 37
Dec. 20
For their fourth straight win, the GW women’s basketball team demolished the Elis at the Smith Center. The 88 points was a season-high for GW and four players in double figures helped GW to the win. Sophomore Kimberly Beck had a game-high 16 points while Simmonds and Lawrence scored 13 apiece. Junior Corrine Turner had 12 points in the first start of her career.

N.C. State 76, GW 71
Dec. 30
Without a powerful interior presence, GW was not able to solve North Carolina State. Simmonds, who paced the Colonials with 18 points and six rebounds, collected her fourth personal foul with 16:46 remaining in the second half, forcing her to sit until 10:46 left in the game. She played the rest of the game without fouling out. Junior forward Whitney Allen (three points, 3 rebounds) and Turner (nine points, three rebounds) also picked up their fourth fouls in the beginning of the second half.

GW 63, Sacramento State 42
Jan. 3
The Colonials ended non-conference play with a victory over Sacramento State. Freshman Jessica Adair had 11 first-half points.

GW 75, Dayton 64
Jan. 6
In the A-10 opener, GW topped the Flyers at home. Simmonds racked up 22 points and 14 rebounds.

GW 64, Saint Joseph’s 56
Jan. 8
In its first A-10 road game of the season, the GW women’s basketball team topped Saint Joseph’s in Philadelphia. Lawrence had 17 points while junior Kenan Cole and Allen had 11 points each.

GW 58, No. 19/20 Temple 41
Jan. 11
A much younger GW squad knocked off No. 19/20 Temple 58-41 in front of 520 fans at the Smith Center. The upset gave the team a chance to be ranked for the first time since the 2003-2004 season. GW shot 46.5 percent from the floor and got a game-high 11 points from freshman Jazmine Adair. GW got 10 points from sophomore classmates Beck and Lawrence.

GW 64, Xavier 58
Jan. 15
The Colonials’ 64-58 victory over visiting Xavier gave GW its eighth straight home win and ninth triumph in their past 10 games. They are also the only undefeated team in the A-10.
-Will Dempster, Jake Sherman and Joanna Shapes