WEB UPDATE: Shakour cleared of sexual harassment and sexual assault charges, statement says

Posted Monday, Dec. 19, 9:34 p.m. After a lengthy judicial process, Student Association President Audai Shakour has been cleared of sexual harassment and sexual assault allegations brought against him by a female student.

A statement from Shakour’s office said he was informed of the decision late Monday evening. Student Judicial Services officials do not comment on cases involving individuals.

“President Shakour expressed confidence throughout the process that he would not be found in violation, continually reemphasizing that these allocations held no truth,” the statement said.

A female student leveled the sexual harassment and sexual assault charges against Shakour on Nov. 7, for an incident that she claimed occurred on Oct. 21.

Shakour and the female student went to an initial hearing on Nov. 18, and another on Dec. 16. Although SJS typically takes a week to decide cases, Shakour’s dragged on for more than a month, which strongly suggests he appealed part of the original decision. No one involved in the case has commented on the possibility of an appeal.

The statement from Shakour’s office said he “is looking forward to a much needed rest in his hometown of Mountain View, Calif., with his family, but is excited to move forward with a reinvigorated resolve to improve student services and advocacy in the upcoming semester. He expresses his gratitude to his family and friends who have shown him great support, which allowed him to continue to serve students throughout the process.”

Visit www.gwhatchet.com throughout the week as more details about this story become available.