WEB UPDATE: Mensah-Bonsu looks like himself in GW’s big win over FIU

Start the slideshow!

Posted Thursday, Dec. 8, 10:47 p.m. After GW defeated Maryland at the BB&T Classic Monday, Coach Karl Hobbs attributed the sluggish performance of senior standout Pops Menash-Bonsu to rust. After scoring the Colonials’ first six points and eight of their first 10 en route to a 15-point, eight-rebound performance against the Golden Panthers of Florida International Thursday night, it appears he’s found his way back.

“He was a little more relaxed and wasn’t rushing his shots,” Hobbs said. “He’s slowly getting himself back to be game ready.” Mensah Bonsu, a preseason All-America candidate, sat out the first three games of the season for violating undisclosed NCAA rules.

After trading buckets for the first four minutes of the game, the Colonials (6-0) used a 17-1 run to distance themselves from FIU (3-3) on their way to a 70-45 victory.

Pacing the Colonials were seniors Mike Hall, contributing 13 points and 10 rebounds, and Omar Williams, with 16 points, six rebounds and six assists.

GW frustrated the Golden Panthers into shooting 31 percent from the floor. All-American candidate Ivan Almonte – who had been averaging 16.4 points and 14.4 rebounds per game – managed 16 points and seven rebounds for Florida International.

GW will play Morgan State (0-6) in Baltimore on Saturday in their first road contest of the year.