Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down

Peter Konwerski

Long-time GW employee and three-time alumnus Peter Konwerski was appointed assistant vice president for Student and Academic Support Services last week. After so many years of service to GW, Konwerski deserves the promotion. His accessibility and open attitude toward solving student issues serve as an example to other administrators.

Semester at Sea

GW had the chance to develop the Semester at Sea program into a meaningful academic experience that could have complemented the studies of Elliott School of International Affairs students. Though University concerns about the academic integrity of the program are valid, a restructuring of this unique experience could have diversified GW study abroad options.

Student presence at the BB&T

Colonials fans continue to support their basketball teams even as the pressures of final exams and term papers loom. Students were a major force at the BB&T tournament and continue to take an interest in the women’s games.

Student Association’s continued failures

Both the legislative and executive branches deserve harsh criticism this week from their constituents. President Audai Shakour’s “Colonial Trader” Web site, meant to provide services such as a textbook exchange, is still not ready. Shakour had plenty of time to complete this site even before his involvement in a sexual harassment and sexual assault case. For its part, the SA Senate managed to pass through a constitutional referendum that garnered abysmal turnout. At least some SA procedure has been clarified for the tiny percentage of students who care.

SMPA director search

After more than a year and a half, the School of Media and Public Affairs finally restructured its search committee goals and is now seeking a media professional with practical experience. It sounds like the committee is seeking someone similar to former candidate Marvin Kalb, a highly respected journalist who pulled his name from consideration due to frustration with the process. Too bad the search wasn’t this focused earlier.

RHA inspection review

The Resident Hall Association, in a rare move to mitigate student concerns, approached the University about reconsidering many aspects of the residence hall health and safety Inspection process. The RHA is seeking an appeals process and other modifications to the program originally outlined on this page.

Club “G” – Gelman Library

Gelman library, the only place on campus guaranteed to provide a safe haven for studiers, is anything but. Students more interested in socialization than academics frequent the library and ruin its atmosphere. Students who want to chat over a cup of Starbucks should consider sitting in J Street – across the street.