SA Notes

Coach service brings more than 200 students to Dulles

The Student Association unveiled the Colonial Coach shuttle service Nov. 22 and 23, transporting about 220 students from the Foggy Bottom campus to Dulles International Airport in Virginia.

The bus service, still in its trial stages, may be expanded for the December winter break with increased frequency of service and expanded transportation to Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

“The shuttle service went very well and was used by a great many students,” said SA Executive Vice President Morgan Corr, a junior. “We had two buses filled to capacity, with two more just under being full.”

Students were required to pay $10 when making their reservations, but received their payment back when they boarded the 57-person buses to the suburban Virginia airport. The buses made six trips to the airport over two days.

Corr said the shuttle was a success even though three students had to take a cab to the airport when one of the shuttles was late. The SA chose U.S. Coachways, Inc. to provide the service for $2,000, which was paid for through Corr’s budget.

Contracts with Dulles airport and other transportation services such as Super Shuttle and Washington Flyer prevent Colonial Coach from offering round-trip service from Dulles back to GW, Corr said.

Organizers handed out surveys for students to complete while on the bus asking when students planned on leaving for winter break and if they would be interested in a shuttle service to BWI. Corr said the surveys will help better gauge the days with the highest travel flow, in order to accommodate the most people on their winter break trips.

-Elizabeth Kamens