GW professor named D.C.’s best

Matthew O’Gara, a GW lecturer in the University Honors Program and the Elliott School of International Affairs, was named the 2005 District of Columbia Professor of the Year last month.

“It’s rather humbling to win an award of this magnitude, especially given that GW is full of excellent teachers and many could have (been) selected instead,” O’Gara said.

The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education sponsored the award.

O’Gara was presented with his award at a Nov. 17 ceremony honoring the best professors from the 50 states, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Four American professors of the year were also selected.

“I think Professor O’Gara’s love of teaching undergraduates, his participation in honors co-curricular, community-building activities and his dedication to individual students … make him a model and someone most deserving of this recognition,” said Donald Lehman, executive vice president for Academic Affairs.

O’Gara was selected from almost 400 professors for the title. All nominees are judged on dedication to undergraduate teaching, contributions to undergraduate education in the institution, community and profession, and support from colleagues and current and former undergraduate students.

The award was established in 1981 as a way to recognize college and university professors for their teaching skills.

“I’m hoping that this can serve as a kind of reminder to the administration and faculty alike that quality teaching still matters,” O’Gara said. “It’s really why we’re here, or at least it should be.”