From Deadheads to Claymates, December has a concert for everyone

Believe it or not, it’s December once again, and the fall semester is almost over. With less than two weeks of classes left, students will soon find themselves spending countless hours in the library finishing final projects and studying for exams. To keep from going crazy, perhaps some live music is in order, as December promises to deliver great music up until the New Year.

This month, the 9:30 Club will host a variety of shows, several of which are already sold out. Not to worry, though – even if a show at the 9:30 Club is sold out, chances are you can still make your way inside by scalping a ticket outside from a concertgoer with an extra one.

On Dec. 3, the acclaimed Grateful Dead cover-band known as the Dark Star Orchestra will play a mystery Dead set at the 9:30 Club. DSO is unique from other cover- bands in that, for each show, they recreate Dead shows by playing old set-lists song for song, all in the original arrangements from the Dead members of whatever period the concert’s set-list is from. True Dead fans might be able to determine what show DSO is recreating, based on old recordings or past Grateful Dead concert experiences.

December also provides for great local shows, featuring D.C.-based talent. On Dec. 8, GW rock-trio The Sunday Mail will play a farewell (for now) show at Staccato Lounge in Adams Morgan, as they prepare to study abroad next semester. This show is sure to be packed, so arrive early to experience juniors Ben Thornewill, Tommy Siegel and Jesse Kristin’s piano power-rock spectacular. On Dec. 9, local D.C. rock-group Kenin will headline a show at the 9:30 Club, giving their fans a heavy dose of their acoustic and electric guitar, percussion and improvisation-filled music.

On Dec. 10, Pittsburgh-based sextet Rusted Root will play the 9:30 Club, bringing “Ecstacy” to the audience’s ears. The following night, reggae party-star Sean Paul will perform at 9:30. Also, American Idol superstar Clay Aiken will pleasure his “Claymates” at D.A.R. Constitution Hall on Dec. 13. But if you want to keep it real, check out ’90s rap stars Bone Thugs-n-Harmony on Dec. 14, who will perform at the 9:30 Club (see you at the “Crossroads”).

Finally, if you really don’t care to study for your finals, tell your professors and parents “It’s My Life!” as you head over to the MCI Center on Dec. 17 to see the one and only Bon Jovi.

If you’re still in or around the District after finals, check out the stellar line-up at the 9:30 Club for a chance to meet the legendary filmmaker John Waters on Dec. 22, see Hassidic Jew/reggae extraordinaire Matisyahu on Christmas night (Dec. 25), the godfather of soul James Brown on Dec. 28, hip-hop group The Roots on Dec. 29, Southern rockers North Mississippi Allstars on Dec. 30, and past GW-visitors Robert Randolph & The Family Band on Dec. 31.