WEB UPDATE: Communications professor dies

Posted Tuesday, Nov. 22, 7:30 p.m. GW communications professor Charles Feldman, who taught classes in public communication and small group communication this semester, died earlier this month.

Feldman, who lived in Alexandria, Va., was an adjunct professor and taught at GW for about four years. He died Nov. 8 and is survived by his wife Susan.

“He was a valuable addition to our program,” said Clay Warren, director of the communications program. “He was both bright and warm. He was really willing to help anyone when they needed it.”

Warren said Feldman graduated with a bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa in 1967 and went on to receive his master’s degree and doctorate from the University of Michigan. Neither Warren nor the Office of Faculty Personnel knew Feldman’s exact age or cause of the death, but Warren said he was about 60.

Warren said that during the Vietnam War, Feldman served as an information officer for the One Field Force Artillery in Nha Trang. When he returned to the United States, he taught at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., and went on to work as an adjunct at various other universities.

Feldman was an expert on censorship and motion pictures, and he also worked as a certified public accountant, Warren said. Feldman was also a devotee of the Three Stooges, and he was a personal friend of stooge Larry Fine, Warren said.

Warren said this year GW was in the process of making a promotional video, and one of the students featured in it had a class with Feldman, so a camera crew filmed his class.

Memorials may be left to the Wildlife Prairie Park in Peoria, Ill., Warren said.