WEB EXTRA: Homeless walk raises an estimated $6.5 million

GW students and faculty braved the cold to participate in the Fannie Mae Foundation’s 18th annual Help the Homeless Walkathon on Saturday morning.

More than 61,000 people from the D.C. area gathered to walk the three-mile route on the National Mall for homeless-related organizations such as Charlie’s Place and the National Coalition for the Homeless.

Even in the near-freezing temperature, the walkers were in high spirits and dedicated to their cause. “(The cold) isn’t bothering me at all,” said Tracie Handley, a GW junior. “Usually, I get cold really easily, but not today.”

Handley, along with fellow junior Tara Pellerito and seniors Amy Fishman and Stacy Aronson, joined the walk as a project for a sociology class. The four raised more than $150 and were excited to be helping the homeless.

“Our slogan is ‘Walk for them, not over them,'” Handley said.

The walk was organized by the Fannie Mae Help the Homeless Program, a group that works to help the 15,000 homeless men, women and children in the District. Money raised by the walk will be going to agencies that provide services to homeless people, homelessness prevention programs and special needs housing.

“We’re here to support the 178 agencies all do great work finding permanent solutions for the homeless,” said Peter Beard, Fannie Mae’s senior vice president for policy and information. Beard predicted that donations from the walkers, corporate partners and money raised from similar events would total more than $6.5 million.

Epsilon Sigma Alpha, a GW community service sorority, participated in the walk with 25 members. The sorority participates in weekly service opportunities in the District and saw this walk as an extension of its service-minded beliefs.

“We want to raise awareness that homelessness is a problem,” said senior Kate Gallagher, the team coordinator.

Emceeing the walk was Bob Madigan of WTOP radio. As walkers passed the start line, Madigan called out their respective organizations and complimented their desire for social change.

“By walking in front of the Capitol, you’re making a statement,” Madigan told participants.

Andrea Essner, assistant program coordinator for GW’s Office of Community Service, publicized the event to the University community and said he appreciated everyone’s contributions.

“Thank you for showing support through walking or donating money,” she said. “This is one more way that GW shows love for the D.C. community.”

In addition to the thousands of walkers, local homeless citizens made their way to the event. Jason Luke, a vendor for Street Sense, the monthly newspaper sold by the homeless, spent the morning selling the paper at the walk.

“I think the walk is great,” said Luke, who said he has been a vendor for about two years. “The money is really needed.”

James Davis, another Street Sense vendor, added, “I think the walk shows that people care about the homeless, and I hope that feeling of giving continues.”