GW to launch Spring Term after yearlong delay

The GW community may see some unfamiliar students strolling around Foggy Bottom this spring.

GW Spring Term, a new program that allows students from universities nationwide to study at GW, is set to launch after a yearlong delay.

The program was initially supposed to be in place during the spring 2005 semester, but due to a late promotion campaign to advertise the program, the University did not receive enough applications to run the program. The scheduled start-up date of the program is this January, according to Education Programs Manager Georgette Edmondson.

The program gives non-GW students an opportunity to study some place else without studying abroad, and it encourages students to return to GW for a graduate school education.

“There is a difference in students who have heard about the University and students who have experienced being here,” said Donna Scarboro, assistant vice President for Special and International Programs. Scarboro said the high number of students who go abroad each spring allows GW to accept the program’s students. Organizers said they will try to house all students on the Foggy Bottom campus, but because they do not have the final participation figures they are unsure exactly where students will live. The program is open to juniors, and five to 10 students are expected to participate, Scarboro said.

“This program is good for our reputation,” Scarboro said. “It helps students see what we have here and spread the word.”

Edmondson added, “Students go back enriched by the experience.”

GW has another similar program through the GW Graduate School of Political Management called Semester in Washington. Semester in Washington aims at providing students with government internships, while Spring Term will give students opportunities to choose from a list of classes with no internship experience affiliated with the course.

Spring Term participants will be able to choose from a list of classes within a concentration, including national security and foreign policy; military planning and national politics; and Washington media. Students can also get internships and take courses in each of the three disciplines.