Dulles shuttle offers free rides to Virginia airport

Securing transportation to Dulles International Airport may be a lot easier and cheaper this Thanksgiving break for some students.

A Student Association initiative called Colonial Coach will run buses between the Foggy Bottom campus and the suburban Virginia airport on Nov. 22 and 23 at no cost to students.

“Our goal was to make this a free and easy service that alleviates some of the stress and burden of trying to get to Dulles Airport,” said sophomore Marc Abanto (CCAS-U), an SA senator who helped create the service. “We were able to make it happen for the fall, and we are confident the service will continue in its free and present form.”

The shuttle will depart from Kogan Plaza at 9 a.m., 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. the two days before Thanksgiving break. Depending on the success of the program, organizers may use it again for the winter break in December.

Abanto said Dulles is a favorable airport for students to fly from because of its inexpensive fares, but that in the past it has been difficult and expensive to get there.

Current options for traveling to Dulles include the Washington Flyer shuttle from the West Falls Church Metro station ($14 roundtrip), a Metro bus from the Rosslyn station and a Super Shuttle shared-passenger van (about $26 one way).

“This was a large part of my campaign last spring and was one of the first ideas I wanted to act on after I was elected,” Abanto said. “I thought it was a very feasible way to immediately help students, and from my personal experiences with traveling, I knew it was something students would be (interested in).”

SA Executive Vice President Morgan Corr, a junior who created the service with Abanto, said approximately 20 students have already reserved a spot on the shuttle, with more signing up daily. Corr said as of now, the shuttle will only operate one way, but there is a possibility that there will be a return coach.

Reservations require a $10 payment, which students will get back once they take their trip. Students can reserve a spot on the shuttle through the SA office or at www.gwcoloncailcoach.com.

After investigating numerous bus companies to use, Corr and Abanto decided to use U.S. Coachways, Inc. at a cost of $2,000. The shuttle service will be paid for by Corr’s EVP budget, which is made up of funds from the dollar-per-credit fee students pay to the SA.

Some students seemed receptive to the idea of the service.

“In the past I have avoided booking flights at Dulles because it seemed inconvenient to get there,” sophomore Kris Moore said. “I think it’s a good use of SA funds.”

Corr said the SA will be advertising the service in The Hatchet and on the SA Web site, as well as on posters across campus. Both Corr and Abanto stressed that the service is open to the entire GW community including faculty and staff.