Basketball teams to face first challenge

Who?

That may be the first word out of many peoples’ mouths upon looking at the GW basketball teams’ first and only exhibition games this year. For both GW squads, playing Division III or small club teams will not indicate how the team will fare against major opponents during the year. Men’s head coach Karl Hobbs said it is good for his players to try to execute plays against other squads

“Well it prepares us a lot,” Hobbs said in a phone interview Wednesday. “We get an opportunity to play a real game with officials. We get a chance to test some of the things we’re doing. And I think that’s good and it helps a lot.”

The GW women’s squad will face the EV1 All-Stars, a professional squad coached by Kevin Cook, an assistant coach for the WNBA’s Houston Comets. The EV1 All Stars feature many prominent college basketball players, including former Temple standout Cynthia Jordan. Former Vanderbilt player Chantelle Anderson and former Kansas star Keila Beachem will back up Jordan on the squad.

Hobbs and the men’s squad will face a Division III program in Augusta State. The Jaguars have had an extremely tough preseason for a small program. Traveling to face GW foe Georgia Tech, the Jaguars suffered a 96-57 loss behind a 19-point performance from Tech’s Zam Fredrick.

GW chooses their opponent from a slew of teams that want to play a large Division I squad.

“You get a number of calls from Division II and Division III schools,” Hobbs said. “And you make a decision on their styles of play and what suits you best.”

AP ranking

The men’s squad is already making history, it has yet to step foot on the court for a game. The Associated Press ranked GW 21st in the nation in its preseason poll. The ranking represents the team’s highest preseason position in program history. The Colonials are the only Atlantic 10 squad in the AP poll.

GW is ranked ahead of Nevada, Indiana, Maryland and Iowa State in the top 25.

Charlotte is 34th. Georgetown is 33rd while December GW opponent N.C. State is 29th.

The Colonials are ranked 24th in the USA Today poll but are behind 21st-ranked Maryland.

Sports writers vote in the AP poll while the USA Today poll is voted on by coaches.

Banner raising

Before Saturday’s scrimmage, the GW athletic department will raise the 2005 men’s A-10 championship banner. The banner is being raised because not many students are expected for the first game of the year against Kennesaw State on Nov. 23.