“What’s the deal with” … slutty Halloween costumes?

A nurse. A French maid. A Catholic schoolgirl. A bunny. It’s not what you put on that makes these costumes. It’s what you take off.

These costume concepts, which are often accompanied with the pre-fixes “slutty” or “sexy,” are some of the most popular on college campuses. Why? Because Halloween is the one time a year students can wear next to nothing and experience next to no judgment. After all, it’s just a costume.

“I think this reveals a person’s desire to be sexy and wild, but only to the extent where their friends know it’s just an act,” Herb Vest, the CEO and founder of the online dating service True.com, wrote in an e-mail. The service conducted an online survey in September asking people about their views on revealing Halloween costumes. A team of psychologists developed the survey, which had almost 5,000 respondents, and analyzed its results, said Milly Navarro, a pubic relations representative for the site.

“We learned from our expert team of researchers and psychologists that Halloween costumes can be physical expressions of psychological models,” Vest said. “An individual’s choice of costume can reveal an affinity with a particular identity or role.”

One of the most interesting results of the survey, Vest said, was that few people responded that they wanted to be someone else for Halloween, like a celebrity. Instead, more people wanted to “become uninhibited and sexy in French maids, hot nurses, pimps or a dominatrix,” he said.

Albeit much less common, men also take advantage of Halloween liberties with an array of shirtless costume possibilities: a pimp, a construction worker, anything involving a toga. Regardless, Oct. 31 is a haven for Halloween hotties.

The holiday on college campuses ensures one thing people can always count on: lots of Halloween eye candy.

-Caitlin Carroll