WEB EXTRA: Varsity roundup

M. Basketball

The GW men’s basketball team will open the season in the top 25 of men’s college basketball. The Colonials were voted no. 24 in the USA Today coach’s poll released Oct. 27. The Associated Press poll, voted on by the media, will be released on Nov. 11, ahead of the Colonials’ preseason opener with Augusta State.

Volleyball

Philadelphia was not kind to the Colonials this weekend. After being swept by Temple, the Colonials lost to La Salle for the first time in program history, 3-0. The Explorers overtook GW by the scores of 30-25, 30-26, 30-24. It was La Salle’s first Atlantic 10 victory of the season. GW (10-15, 3-8 A-10) was led by senior Abigail Hatter, who had 13 kills, while junior Juliene McLaughlin had 11 kills and 10 digs. Sophomore Janine Brown had 23 digs and seven kills. In the loss to Temple, GW was led by senior Lindsay Vernand’s 12 kills and .333 hitting percentage. Junior Kaimana Lee had 29 assists for the Colonials while McLaughlin had nine kills and nine digs. GW returns to action Thursday in Charlotte.

Cross Country

Freshman Chris Pisano led the GW men’s cross country team to a 10th-place finish at the Atlantic 10 championship in Philadelphia. Pisano, who has been the Colonials’ top finisher at the last four meets, finished eight kilometers in 26:33.6 to finish in 50th place out of 131 runners. Freshman Keith Moody came in 56th. Junior Daniel Morgan came in 59th place. Audrey Hawkins led the women’s squad to an 11th-place finish with her 34th-place finish out of 125 runners. Hawkins finished five kilometers in 19:21.4. Sophomore Mae Polhemus finished in 65th place. Duquesne won the men’s championship, followed by La Salle and Charlotte. La Salle captured the top spot in the women’s championship with Charlotte and Richmond finishing third and fourth. The Colonials continue their season on Nov. 5 in Charlottesville, Va., in the Cavalier Open.

W. Soccer

The Colonials were defeated 2-0 on the road by Charlotte on Oct. 27. The loss brings the Colonials’ record down to 5-11 and 2-6 in the Atlantic 10. The Billikens’ goals came from sophomore Mary Green and senior Kelly Ferguson. Senior Anna Handzlik registered five saves in the loss. The Colonials’ close out their season on Sunday in Pittsburgh, facing Duquesne at 1 p.m.