Thumbs Up Thumbs Down

Disclosing Sex-ed dismissal information

Thumbs up to University officials for disclosing the information surrounding former sex-ed professor Michael Schaffer’s dismissal from the University. The almost-scandal fizzled quickly once the facts came out. As is often the case, the perception of the events surrounding Schaffer’s departure after 17 years was much worse than the reality.

Colonial Army expansion

Thumbs down to Colonial Army. The student group has expanded its membership so much that it is impossible for any significant number of non-members to attend GW basketball games for free. This perk should be available to all tuition-paying students, regardless of whether they choose to join the Colonial Army.

CLLC behavior database disappears

Thumbs up to removal of the CLLC behavior database. Tracking interactions between students and CFs in a secret database, supposedly to monitor student mental health issues, was an unnecessary overreach of the University middle-level bureaucracy into students’ lives.

Community members pressure McFadden’s

Thumbs down to community members forcing McFadden’s Restaurant and Saloon to close an hour earlier. This is another example of community members using any means necessary to inflict minor victories against GW, students and the establishments they frequent. Special thumbs up to D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams agreeing that “the community has been a little hard on the University.”

Business school rankings improve

Thumbs up to GW for developing the School of Business into an academic force in its field. Already high rankings this year will only improve with the opening of Duques Hall on 22nd Street.

Student Association bungled bureaucracy

Thumbs down to Student Association for a botched attempt at a unified “hurricane relief day.” While a number of smaller student organizations came together to try to create a meaningful event, the SA managed to bungle the publicity and execution of the event. Their heart was in the right place, but bureaucratic and organizational failures in the SA seem to always trump meaningful services or programs for students.

Hatchet mix-ups

Thumbs down to Southern Maryland Printing Company for printing an issue of The Hatchet’s pages out of order … but thumbs up to Southern Maryland Printing Company for printing The Hatchet’s page 9 (Life section) in the University of Maryland’s newspaper, the Diamondback (just kidding, we know they are sorry).