Canadian rockers hit ‘Scene’: Album review of Broken Social Scene

Toronto’s Broken Social Scene’s latest self-titled and third full-length album presents an energetic and upbeat aural wonderland to bring delight to the ears of music listeners of all stripes.

The album presents a mixture of a wide variety of instruments, and the massive ensemble comprises 18 musicians, many of whom hail from other famed Canadian acts as Metric and Feist. Ranging from guitars to brass to electronic sounds, the album builds textures of different sounds, but does not get lost in the process. Despite the size of the group, Broken Social Scene presents a coherent sound that is at once beautiful and exciting. The cohesion stands as a testament to the varied musicians involved.

The new release presents a futuristic sound that still maintains its pop sensibilities. It is space-aged without being spaced out, electronic without being alienating and thoughtful while simultaneously hopeful. The music is progressive, but free of the boring technicality often associated with such endeavors. In essence, it is the sound of a very human future, filled with hope and beauty.

The album opens with a track called “Our Faces Split the Coast in Half,” a light, energetic song that is similar to the image that the title evokes, filled with the warmth and endless possibility of summer. The swirling electronics and not-quite decipherable lyrics set the tone for much of the album, which is a journey of melodious songs with strong percussion. Other highlights from the album include the rocking “Fire-Eyed Boy” and the hip-hop infused “Windsurfing Nation.”

Formed in 1999, the group brings a large collaborative sound that is refreshingly free of the noodling and gratuitous musical showiness often found on such large and improvisational projects. The band is a collision of the varied musical talent’s found across the booming Toronto music scene, and the numerous members bring in complex sonic layers that invite the listener into a swirling world of oscillations and optimism.

The Broken Social Scene will play with opening act Feist at the 9:30 Club on Wednesday, Oct. 26. Tickets cost $20.