MBA program improves ranking to 31

The University’s master of business administration program jumped from a ranking of 37 to 31 in the Wall Street Journal’s business school guide released last month.

The rankings are determined by surveying more than 3,000 business recruiters and based on three factors: the perception of the school and its students, the projected future financial support the school will have from its graduates and how attractive the graduates of the school are to business recruiters. The business school’s jump comes after GW fell from 51 to 53 in U.S. News and World Report’s rankings this year.

School of Business officials said a focus on developing programs contributed to the improvement in its ranking.

“There has been more of a focus on developing the programs, and I feel that this ranking is a good testament to the quality of education the MBAs have received,” said Sarah Kunkleman, assistant director of communication at the business school.

The guide’s author said that because professionals who recruit MBA graduates help to create the guide, it is an effective tool of measuring the quality of a program.

“The rankings are based exclusively on recruiters who recruit students from major schools,” said Roe D’Angelo, director of books and special projects at the Wall Street Journal. This is the fifth year the Wall Street Journal has published the guide.

University officials said they are proud that GW’s School of Business has risen in the rankings.

“It is these simple affirmations that make students feel as though their education has been worthwhile,” said Prabir Bagchi, senior associate dean for undergraduate programs at the business school. “Students here should feel proud that they have a first rate education.”

The School of Business’ new facility on 22nd Street, Duques Hall, is set to open in spring 2006 and will add prestige to the already nationally recognized program, Kunkleman said.

“Over the last year one of the biggest changes was the development of the building,” Kunkleman said of the $50 million building. “The technology is a big improvement for MBA students and professors.”

Duques Hall will include video screens of the most recent stock values and a virtual online market place where students can learn hands-on how trading Fortune 500 companies works. The building will also include seven lecture size classrooms, three computer equipped classrooms and five standard classrooms.

“GW is a preeminent business school known for global management,” Bagchi said. “We have one of the largest (international business) programs that is consistently ranked in the top 20.”

GW’s undergraduate international business program is ranked 19th, and its graduate program is ranked 25th in the 2006 U.S. News and World Report survey.

“It would be even better if we are ranked in the top 10 or 20, but we are taking little steps,” Bagchi said. “All these add up to great achievements for the Business School.”

The University’s undergraduate business program was ranked 47 in the 2006 U.S. News and World Report ratings.