Death of two GW students may be solved

Police believe they have identified the murderer of two GW athletes who were killed in December 1988, FOX 5 reported.

Alfredo Prieto, who has been on death row in California since 1992 for an unrelated killing, has been linked to the murders of GW baseball player Warren Fulton and soccer player Rachel Raver, FOX 5 reported Friday. DNA evidence also links him to the murder of Veronica Jefferson, a teacher.

Five years ago, when Arlington officials entered DNA samples into a database, they were able to determine that the killer of Raver and Fulton, and the killer of Jefferson, was the same person. Earlier this year, police were able to connect the killings to Prieto – who raped and killed a 15-year old girl Ontario, Calif., girl – when DNA from that scene was entered into a national database, FOX 5 reported.

On Dec. 3, 1988, Raver and Fulton were abducted from an alley near a downtown D.C. bar called Mister Days and were taken to Reston, Va., where the assailant raped Raver and killed both students.

Matt Raver, Rachel’s brother, told FOX 5 that the discovery of Prieto is like “a weight off our shoulders.”

Virginia police officials visited Prieto in California last week for an interview. Though Prieto declined to talk, they were able to obtain a sample of his DNA. If his DNA matches the DNA from the crime scenes of the three murders, Virginia state officials said they will move for extradition.

-Ryan Holeywell