Varsity Roundup

Men’s Basketball

Schedule completed

The GW men’s basketball team will play three games on the ESPN family of channels during the 2005-2006 season. The Colonials will meet N.C. State on Dec. 31 on Fox Sports at noon. On Feb. 2 at 7 p.m. the Colonials will face Xavier in Cincinnati on ESPN2. On Feb. 11, the Colonials will appear on ESPN2 again, facing St. Joseph’s at 2 p.m. As previously reported, the Colonials will face Charlotte on March 4 at 2 p.m. at the Smith Center on ESPN.

Men’s Golf

Carroll leads golf to second-place finish

Senior Brian Carroll shot rounds of 71 and 74 to take eighth place in the Navy Fall Invitational on Sept. 10 and 11. George Mason won the tournament with an aggregate score of 578, while GW and Towson tied for second with 595. St. Joseph’s Colin Corrigan won an 11-hole playoff to take medalist honors over Steve Alminas (Winthrop) and Bryan Bigley (Siena). The trio shot a one-over-par 143. Sophomore Tim Johnson and senior Dan Mirabella tied for 10th place overall with 146. Freshman Jake McGuigan shot a six-over-par 148 in his collegiate debut. The performance helped secure the spot as this week’s Atlantic 10 Conference rookie of the week for men’s golf. The Irish native attended high school in Bradenton, Fla. The finish was the Colonials’ best in the tournament since 1994. The Colonials will host the Rehoboth Beach Invitational on Sept. 26 at Kings Creek Country Club in Rehoboth Beach, Del.

Men’s Tennis

Gencsoy, Lansman go undefeated in singles play

Sophomore Mustafa Gencsoy and freshman Mark Lansman won their three matches in singles play at the Mary Washington Tennis Kickoff Classic on Sept. 9 and 10 in Fredricksburg, Va. Gencsoy beat Paul Bristow of Mary Washington and Pritt Pihl (Liberty) in Flight I. Lansman had straight-set victories in the sixth and seventh flights to finish undefeated. The squad returns to action with the D.C. Metro Tournament on Sept. 22-26 against American and Georgetown.