SA Notes

SA passes one Student Court nominee, two to go

The Student Association Senate approved junior Oliver Tobias to be a judge on the SA Student Court Tuesday night at a meeting on the Mount Vernon Campus. The court still has two vacancies to fill.

Tobias was confirmed by the Senate Rules Committee last Wednesday and passed unanimously. SA President Audai Shakour’s second court nominee, second-year law student Erica Fischer, failed to be confirmed last week when she did not appear at the Senate Rules Committee meeting for her confirmation. Tobias, who is a first-year member of the court and an SA outsider, said he looks forward to serving the student body.

The Student Court interprets the SA constitution and handles disputes between the executive and legislative branches.

“I think my lack of participation in the Senate in the past lends a bit of impartiality to the position, which is essentially a staple to the position,” Tobias said at Tuesday night’s meeting.

SA Vice President of Public Affairs Casey Pond, who works for Shakour, said Fisher was at a job interview in New York and could not attend the meeting.

“We’re not particularly worried,” Pond said. “This only opens up the applicant pool for another nomination process.”

Pond said there is a possibility Shakour would re-nominate Fischer but that a decision would not be made in the immediate future.

-Jenette Axelrod