WEB UPDATE: Roberts hearing brings out demonstrators for both sides

Posted Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2:29 p.m. The confirmation hearings for chief justice nominee John Roberts began Monday, but the real action took place outside the Russell Senate office building.

Protesters lined the sidewalk outside the building north of the Capitol on C Street, criticizing the nominee for chief justice for everything from his perceived stance on Title IX women’s legislation to the fear that he would add to what one protester called the “Republican assault on the New Deal.” Title IX legislation is intended to prevent gender discrimination in schools.

Most of the 25 or 30 protesters said they were there because they felt Roberts would overturn Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that effectively legalized abortion nationwide.

“The nomination would turn women’s rights backwards,” said Juliana Zuccaro, a member of the abortion rights group Feminist Majority. She suggested a “moderate, pro-choice woman” for the chief justice post, but like her companions, could not suggest anyone in particular.

Counter-protesters across the street from the building, who were largely expressing their support of Roberts, also came to protest abortion. Gualberto Garcia, a member of the anti-abortion group American Life League, called for a nominee who would “serve as a voice for the pre-born.” He admitted that he knew little about the past positions of Roberts on abortion issues. G.R. Quinn, a supporter of Roberts from Maryland, called the judge “a great conservative” and a “fair-minded, brilliant” man.

Although most protesters on both sides said they want a “moderate” or “fair-minded” Supreme Court justice, it is unlikely that both sides could ever agree on what positions such a justice would take. When asked whom she would prefer as a nominee, an abortions rights protester named Diane replied, “I just wish I read the papers more.”

The hearing on Roberts’ nominations continued Tuesday, and is expected to last into next week.