Students may have GW-Dulles shuttle by November

Students may soon have a little less trouble making it out to Dulles International Airport.

To ease the stress of travel, the Student Association is working to start an airport shuttle service from the Foggy Bottom campus to Virginia’s Dulles International Airport that could be running by Thanksgiving.

SA Executive Vice President Morgan Corr has been working with multiple bus service companies to find the safest and most cost-effective way to transport students to the Virginia airport, which is a 40-minute drive from Foggy Bottom.

“It would benefit a great amount of students on the campus because there have been a lot of complaints,” Corr said. “We just wanted to help the students who wanted to go home during break and make it a little easier for them.”

Corr said the SA will hire a van service to come to campus a few days before the Thanksgiving break starts and begin transporting students to Dulles. The vans will hold up to 60 people and run on a regular schedule.

“From what we can tell, there has been a great amount of support here. People are really excited about this here,” Corr said. “It’s been really great.”

Corr and other SA officials will be advertising the initiative in the Marvin Center before the holiday break so that student have an opportunity to sign up for the service.

“There are going to be announcements and e-mails and eventually fliers,” Corr said.

While the SA plans to supplement the cost of the shuttle, Corr said the cost to students would not exceed $10. Flights out of Dulles are typically less expensive than those from Reagan National Airport, the closest airport to GW.

Many students said they are excited and pleased to hear the news of shuttle initiative.

“That would be amazing,” freshman Shayla Stweart said. “To pay about $50 to $60 for a shuttle is so excessive, but since this one will be free or cheap, I’d definitely use it.”

Current options for traveling to Dulles include the Washington Flyer shuttle from the West Falls Church Metro station ($14 roundtrip), a Metro bus from the Rosslyn station or a Super Shuttle shared-passenger van ($22 roundtrip).

Tim Miller, director of the Student Activities Center, which oversees the SA, said SAC is happy to see an SA initiative that will directly benefit students.

“We are looking forward to getting more details about this program,” Miller said, “and we hope it will be a positive service to the student body and ease their travel needs during breaks.”