G Street residents creating own movie

In the basement theater of Mitchell Hall, 31 freshmen gather around Chip Bouchard and chatter with nervous excitement. It is the first official meeting for “Project G Street,” and these students are anxious to make a movie.

“This is your film. This is entirely your own,” said Bouchard, the movie’s director and the project’s Community Living and Learning Center liaison. “This is something you need to look back on with pride.”

One of seven new freshmen living and learning communities, Project G Street will give students the opportunity to write, direct, edit, produce and act in their very own film while living together in a house at 2034 G St. The movie-making effort is based on the Bravo network’s hit show “Project Greenlight,” which chronicles the making of a full-length motion picture. The show previously appeared on HBO.

Funded by CLLC, the project will allow students to get hands-on experience with professional camera equipment. Bouchard said filming is set to begin within the next month, but students haven’t decided what the movie will be about.

Freshman Kyle Caston said he thinks the movie should be a comedy or a drama, but freshman Justin Warring said his heart is set on a zombie movie. No matter what genre is ultimately chosen, Project G Street students said they’re just excited about the opportunity to make a movie.

“What we want is to be able to put our ideas out there, to show … other people a little bit about how we think now a days and how society can view the world,” freshman Angie Castillo said.

The project will film in and around the District and has secured the necessary permits from the Washington D.C. Film and Television Office. Bouchard said he hopes to wrap up the movie by early spring, in time to screen the final product at film festivals such as the D.C. Independent Film Festival and the Tribeca Film Festival in New York.

Bouchard, who works for CLLC, has some background in film production and sound editing. As a Georgetown student, he was the producer of a TV show and is interested in script writing.

While some students came to the project with a background in acting or filmmaking, others joined Project G Street for a whole new learning experience. Bouchard said he planned to hold seminars at the house throughout the semester to help instruct students unfamiliar with the movie-making process.

Freshman Andrew Springer said,”I hope to gain skills that will be useful in my future career.”