September promises diverse D.C. concerts

From folk to classic rock, hip-hop to alternative, there’s a live show that will cater to everyone’s musical taste this month. For those new to the District, the city and its surrounding metropolitan area have always been a favored stop for musicians on tour.

Larger acts such as Elton John and the Coldplay usually opt for larger venues such as the MCI Center and the Nissan Pavilion in Virginia, which often results in paying an arm and a leg for a ticket. However, many artists frequently book shows at smaller, inexpensive venues such as the 9:30 Club and the Black Cat, which normally cost anywhere from $15 to $25.

The 9:30 Club, one of the best-known concert venues in D.C., is located at 815 V St. NW and brings live hip-hop, rock, metal, punk, and electronica to its stage and standing-room-only floor. This month at the 9:30 Club, be sure to check out former Soul Coughing frontman Mike Doughty. With the release of his latest album, “Haughty Melodic,” Doughty’s unique vocal style is accompanied by funky drums and acoustic guitar riffs as it graces tracks such as “Busting up a Starbucks” and “Tremendous Brunettes,” a song featuring Dave Matthews.

Coming to 9:30 after Doughty are two very exotic female artists, both known for their distinctive vocal flavorings and original blends of electronic beats and musical arrangements. Canadian singer Esthero will showcase songs from her new album “Wikked Lil’ Grrrls,” on which her silky-smooth voice sings of sexual desires and her distaste of pop music. Three nights later on Sept. 21, the Sri Lankan M.I.A. will grace the stage with her rap skills and crazy beats that are sure to get the entire floor bouncing to her hit “Galangation.”

Also coming to 9:30 Club are 1990s rockers Our Lady Peace (“Superman’s Dead,” “Clumsy”) and Australian based John Butler Trio, a group with a style comparable to Ben Harper’s slide guitar folk-rock whose socially conscious lyrics attract audiences both young and old.

On Sept. 22 and 23, the Black Cat club will feature local band Q and not U’s final show. With the release of their third album “Power,” the trio is calling it quits after seven years of bass thumping, synth-infused punk. Their show on the 23rd is sold out, and tickets to the earlier show are going quickly.

On the heels of the White Stripes’ new album “Get Behind Me Satan,” Jack and Meg White are coming to rock out the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Virginia on Sept. 27.

Other exciting shows coming to the D.C.-area this month include classic rockers Blue Oyster Cult at the State Theatre on Sept. 23 (bring your cowbell), Alien Ant Farm on Sept. 27, Oasis with Jet on Sept. 29 and Coldplay on Sept. 30. With so many concerts coming to the D.C. area this month, who’s going to have time for classes?

Visit www.dc101.com for an up-to-date concert calendar, www.930.com for 9:30 Club show information, and www.ticketmaster.com for non-9:30 Club tickets.

UPCOMING CONCERTS IN THE D.C. AREA – SEPTEMBER
9/9 – Jack Johnson – Merriweather Post Pavilion – $35
9/10 – Elton John – MCI Center – $95-$125
9/14 – Mike Doughty Band – 930 Club – $15
9/18 – Esthero – 930 Club – $15
9/21 – M.I.A. – 930 Club – $20
9/22 – Our Lady Peace – 930 Club – $20
Q and not U – Black Cat $10
9/23 – Blue Oyster Cult – State Theatre – $25
9/27 – The White Stripes – Merriweather Post Pavilion – $25-$40
Alien Ant Farm – Recher Theatre – $15
9/29 – Oasis / Jet – Merriweather Post Pavilion – $25-$40
John Butler Trio – 930 Club – $15
9/30 – Coldplay – Nissan Pavilion – $46