SA Notes

Shakour nominates students for six VP positions

Student Association President Audai Shakour announced six nominees for vice president positions, and the candidates will be voted on during a Saturday meeting of the Senate Rules Committee.

Several of Shakour’s nominees to other positions were rejected by the Senate over the past few months, and some are up for the same position they have already been denied.

One of Shakour’s most controversial nominations last May was that of Jeff Goodman for vice president of judicial and legislative affairs. While the Senate blocked with strong opposition and nominated a student to temporarily hold the position, some senators said the legislative branch may be more receptive to Shakour’s latest nominations, which include Goodman.

“In May we deemed Goodman wasn’t qualified, but he’s definitely shown a lot of growth,” said Chris Rotella, chairman of the Rules Committee.

Over the summer, Goodman worked closely with the Senate, particularly Executive Vice President Morgan Corr and Rotella.

Goodman is confident his nomination process will run smoothly.

“There is a much better chance the Senate will approve me this year,” Goodman said.

Shakour also nominated junior Maria Bea Querido for vice president of student activities, first-year graduate student Salaish Konda for vice president of graduate student policy and sophomore Maggie Beckham for vice president of academic affairs.

This fall, Shakour will also have an opportunity to appoint two new members to the SA Student Court. Shakour nominated juniors Oliver Rob Tobias and Erica Fischer for court justice positions. Court nominees must be confirmed by the Senate Rules Committee and then by the full Senate.

-Jenette Axelrod