Varsity Roundup

Teams gearing up for openers

Although preparations have been underway for months, late August brings the official start to the GW sports’ fall calendar. On Aug. 26, the GW volleyball team travels to

Harrisonburg, Va., to face James Madison University in its season opener. The women’s soccer team kicks off its 2005 schedule on the same day in Annapolis, Md., against the Naval Academy, followed by an Aug. 28 match-up with the University of Maryland-Baltimore County at 1 p.m. at the Mount Vernon Athletic

Complex.

Baseball: Team announces 2006 recruits

Coach Steve Mrowka announced that nine players signed to the baseball program on Tuesday. The group includes four right-handed pitchers, two outfielders and three infielders. The outfielders include Matt Boyd of Rockville, Md., and Chris Marsicano of Old Tappan, N.J. The infielders are Doug Eizen of the Haverford School in Philadelphia, Pat Lehman, also a pitcher, of Fair Lawn, N.J., and Tim Reeves of Cumming, Ga. Pitchers include Justin Dignelli of The Hackley School in Katonah, N.Y., Jim Duggan of Jefferson, Md., and Tim Sexton of Baltimore.

W. Soccer: Sample becomes Terp

Women’s soccer standout Sarah Sample transferred to Maryland effective this year. The midfielder was a first-team Atlantic 10 selection last season and scored six goals and registered two assists. NCAA regulations force Sample to sit out the 2005-2006 season.

M. Soccer: Reining A-10 champs drop preseason opener

Despite out-shooting their opponent 14-8, the Colonials dropped their first preseason contest to Richmond 3-0 at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex. Senior Derek Bliss recorded three saves in the first period for GW while sophomore goaltender Greg Yahr stopped two. The Colonials start their regular season with the D.C. College Cup at Georgetown on Friday, Sept. 2 with a match against American University.