Summer sports wrap up

While most of the GW community let their minds drift from Foggy Bottom during the summer, the Colonials athletic program was hard at work. Catch up with your team and see what changes you’ll see this coming season.

Men’s Basketball

Clemson’s Moore set to transfer

Clemson University wing Cheyenne Moore is set to transfer to GW, said sources close to the men’s squad. The 6-foot-5 forward is widely considered one of the top swing men in the nation. During his freshman year as a Tiger, he drained 39 threes and had a streak of 15 consecutive free throws. Moore, a District native, attended South Kent Prep in South Kent, Conn. If he transfers, he’ll be eligible for the 2006-2007 season.

Rowe named assistant coach

Following the departure of associate head coach Steve Pikiell, the GW men’s basketball hired former University of New Hampshire coach Phil Rowe as assistant coach on June 14. Rowe’s tenure at New Hampshire was tarred by several losing seasons and a combined record of 45-125. During Rowe’s most successful season, the 2001-2002 campaign, the Wildcats finished at 11-17.

Hall, Mensah-Bonsu return

After toying with leaving GW for the professional ranks, seniors Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Mike Hall are returning for their senior year in buff and blue. Mensah-Bonsu was invited to the NBA’s pre-draft camp in Chicago, where scouts were mixed about his prospects as an early entry to the draft. After rumors circulated throughout the GW basketball community that Mensah-Bonsu had hired Seattle-based agent John Greig, the London native announced his intention to return in a Smith Center news conference on June 21. Hall was not invited to the camp in his hometown Chicago but worked out at Chicago basketball Mecca Hoops the Gym with NBA rookies Hakim Warrick and Taylor Coppenrath.

Women’s Basketball

McKeown gets contract extension through 2011.

GW women’s basketball coach Joe McKeown will be with the Colonials through at least 2011 after signing a contract extension on June 17. McKeown is the all-time victory leader in GW basketball history (men’s or women’s) and sits just 19 wins from the esteemed 450-win mark.

“I think I have a great job and I work for great people,” McKeown told the Hatchet. “I am excited to be here for another six years and hopefully we will be able to take it to the next level.”

Montana?a bounces around

After going undrafted in the WNBA draft, Anna Montana?a was invited to practice with the Connecticut Sun. She was let go during the last round of cuts for the Eastern Conference championship squad but joined her native Spain in the 2005 Mediterranean Games, held in Almeria, Spain, in late June. The forward averaged 13.5 points per game on 51.2 percent shooting from the floor.

John competes for national squad

Incoming freshman Chantelle John was chosen to compete for Canada’s U-19 team in the International Baskebtall Federation (FIBA) World Games in Nabeul, Tunisia. The Scarborough, Ontario, native tallied 18 points and 11 rebounds in the team’s lone victory against Tunisia. In a loss to China, John registered 10 points.

Golf

After finishing his season as co-captain of the Colonials golf squad, GW rising senior Brian Carroll was named to the Cleveland Golf All-America Scholar Team along with senior Andrew Gallo, the second captain. He also won the 2005 Chicago District Golf Association Amateur Championship, considered the second most prestigious amateur golf tournament in Illinois.

July proved to be a busy month for the 2005 A-10 Student-Athlete of the Year for men’s golf, as Carroll participated in the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship, held in Lebanon, Ohio, shooting an 11-over-par 151, missing the match play segment of the event by one shot. Two weeks later, he played in the Western Amateur at Point O’Woods Golf & Country Club in Benton Harbor, Mich. The five-round tournament includes four stroke play rounds with the top 16 qualifying for a final round of match play.

Carroll finished tied for second after 72 holes but fell to eventual semi-finalist Luke List in the first round of the match play.

The Crystal Lake, Ill., native advanced to the match play portion of the U.S. Amateur on Aug. 23 at Merion Golf Club and Philadelphia Country Club. Carroll is set to continue play Aug. 24 after shooting a 144 (74-70) in the first two rounds. The winner of the U.S. Amateur is invited to the Master’s Tournament, one of professional golf’s four major championships.

-Joanna Shapes and Jake Sherman