WEB UPDATE: Solomon out as women’s basketball assistant coach

Posted Friday, Aug. 19, 12:01 a.m. Jacob Solomon’s tenure as an assistant coach with the GW women’s basketball team is over. GW head coach Joe McKeown confirmed Wednesday that Solomon will not be returning to the program.

“Things just didn’t work out,” McKeown said.

Before coming to GW, Solomon spent time as an assistant coach with Manhattan’s women’s basketball team in 2001-2002.

Joens to play in Israel

Cathy Joens’ long, strange trip as a professional basketball player will continue this fall in Israel. On, Aug. 9, Joens signed with Elizur Ramala, last year’s Israeli league champion.

Since Joens graduated from GW, she has crossed the globe trying to catch on as a professional. After being drafted 30th overall by the New York Liberty in 2004, Joens was released during training camp and then signed with CB Puig d’en Valls of the Spanish Premiere League.

She returned to the D.C. area in May, trying to land a spot on the Washington Mystics, but she was waived on May 12. Since then Joens has been playing with Athletes in Action in Turkey. AIA is an organization that sends athletic teams around the world to promote Christianity.

“I am really proud of her work ethic and determination,” McKeown said. “I think she will eventually go to medical school. She has a bright future in front of her.”

Joens’ former GW teammate Ugo Oha spent last season in the Israel league with Maccabi Ashdod.

Former Colonial Lands at Manhattan

Amanda LaCasio, who transferred from GW earlier this spring, has committed to the Manhattan College Jaspers of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. LaCasio will sit out the 2005-2006 season due to NCAA transfer regulations and be eligible to play for the Jaspers during the 2006-2007 season.