Varsity Sports Guide

Fall Season

Soccer
The men’s and women’s soccer squads play at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex, just a short shuttle ride up the Whitehurst Freeway. The men’s team won the Atlantic 10 title last year and beat the University of North Carolina to advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Junior sweeper Ben Mortimer, an All-Region selection, returns for the Colonials (10-9-4) as take on a challenging 2005 schedule. Out-of-conference opponents include Virginia Tech, local rivals American and Howard, Towson, Rider University and Lehigh University.

On the women’s side, junior Sarah Sample will anchor a team that missed the A-10 tournament last season. The Colonials will take on local rival American at Mount Vernon and Navy in Annapolis, Md.

Although getting to Mount Vernon may not be as easy as sleeping in on a Saturday morning, the fresh grass (or artificial turf) is sure to please your senses.

Volleyball
The women’s volleyball team plays in the Smith Center, on 22nd and G streets. Games are very fast-paced and the team has had success in the past. Last season, however, the Colonials (7-23) suffered a handful of losing streaks and were not able to right their ship. Coach Jojit Coronel will lead a squad led by juniors Juliene McLaughlin and Kaimana Lee. Catch a match on a weekend – they are exciting.

Cross Country
Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams had very good seasons last year. The women’s squad racked up five first-place finishes, while the men collected one first, one second, and one third. It’s tough to watch the team during a meet because their course goes through Centreville, Va.

Winter Season

Basketball
The men’s and women’s basketball teams are the jewels of the athletic department. Last year, both teams made the NCAA tournament; the men got eliminated by Georgia Tech in the first round while the women beat Mississippi State in the first round but fell to University of North Carolina in the second. The men’s squad will be anchored next year by juniors J.R. Pinnock and Carl Elliott, sophomore Maureece Rice and senior Omar Williams. Two rising seniors, Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Mike Hall, have declared for the NBA draft and have not made clear of their intentions for next year as of press time. The women’s squad is led by sophomore standout Kim Beck, classmate Sarah-Jo Lawrence and junior Whitney Allen. The team will add twins Jessica and Jasmine Adair, Jamila Bates, Chantelle John, and Faith Peters next year.

Both teams play in the Smith Center in front of great crowds. Watching GW basketball is the only game in town and students wait in line for hours to see the team play.

Gymnastics
The gymnastics squad also performs in the Smith Center a few times a year. Watching this team is a must, as they have enjoyed much success in the past. The squad just moved to the EAGL division, which allows more competition.

Swim/Diving and Water Polo
In the basement of the Smith Center sits the GW pool. If you are willing to brave the hot temperatures, go support these teams. The GW swim team finished fourth (men’s) and third (women’s) in the A-10 championship held in Buffalo, N.Y.
The water polo squads, although relatively new, are hot at GW. The women’s squad topped rival Maryland several times this season while the men were able to beat Johns Hopkins, Iona and Mercyhurst in the CWPA Southern Championship.

Spring Season

Baseball
As the weather warms up the GW baseball team starts daily trips to Arlington, Va. The team does not play in Foggy Bottom, which makes cheering quite difficult. The team was knocked out early in the A-10 tournament despite collecting 39 wins during the regular season. If you want to make the trip to Barcroft Park, take the Metro to Ballston, Va. The field is still a cab ride away from there.

Crew
On a beautiful spring day, there is nothing better than watching the GW crew team on the banks of the Potomac River. The team has earned invitations to many of the elite regattas in the nation. Each year, the GW Invitational takes place during the Cherry Blossom Festival on the Georgetown waterfront. The team also competes in the fall.

Softball
A program-best 10 wins was the highlight of the softball team’s season last year. The squad showed much promise, with new talent such as Colleen Kegler, Jackie Yaniga and pitcher Jen Hrycyna. The team holds home games at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex, which is easily accessible by shuttle.

Lacrosse
The GW lacrosse squad improved by leaps and bounds last season. The team, led by Laura Hostetler, qualified for its first A-10 tournament. It also finished the season 13-5, an all-time best for the program. You can catch the team at Mount Vernon, a great activity on a spring day.